Tuesday 28 February 2012

Kitchen (Mis)Adventure - Marion's Kitchen Thai Red Curry

I normally make a really good Thai Red Curry using a recipe from this book


The original recipe is actually red curry with roasted duck and lychees but I use BBQ chicken instead as roasted duck is expensive and I would have to go to Chinatown to get one. Last night I decided to try Marion's kitchen Thai red curry with BBQ chicken and lychees.


Earlier in the afternoon I realised that I forgot to buy the lychees. I blame Bubby as he was getting bored in his pram with my frequent stopping and was whining very loudly so I rushed my shopping. I walked to the convenience store to grab canned lychees but it was out of stock. I looked at other canned fruits and contemplated whether canned mango or mandarin would do. I decided, probably not. So I went over to the Asian section to see what they've got (yes my little corner store has an Asian section, how awesome! I don't have to go to the Dodgy Shopping Centre for my Asian fix). I found canned longans. I've never had longans so I don't know what they taste like. I've never even seen one peeled before but they do look like lychees.


They sort of taste like lychees but not as sweet, at least the texture is the same. My husband was fooled so I guess it was close enough. Here's the finished product, the colour looks a bit bright but that's because of my dodgy camera.

The verdict? It was nice but I don't think it's as nice as my red curry. Maybe I should have added all of the dried chillies. The packet comes with 3 but I only added 1 as I didn't know how hot it would be, in the end it wasn't very hot. Maybe it was the longans. Maybe I should have let it simmer for longer to let the flavours develop but it was past 9 PM and I was starving. I think next time I'll try it with more chillies and with prawns instead of chicken. I'll save the BBQ chicken for my 'original' recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment