Wednesday 4 April 2012

Kitchen (Mis)Adventure - Chicken and Mushroom Risotto

On the spectrum of kitchen misadventures this falls pretty much towards the kitchen disaster end of the scale. Where do I begin? Firstly, I couldn't find any dried porcini in my crappy local shopping centre. I thought I could substitute with dried shitake instead but the local Woolies didn't have those either. I knew I should have just driven the extra 15 minutes to the big shopping centre. Come to think of it my corner convenience store probably has them. Anyway, I found some fresh shitake so I figured I could try it. It doesn't work. I wasted so much time looking for the mushrooms that I had to rush dinner prep. Instead of finely chopping the onion I decided to cut corners and use the box cheese grater instead. I was going so well until I grated a small chunk of my finger. I felt the pain first and when I looked at it there was a small chunk of flesh missing, it was just white then it stated bleeding.

Sorry for the blurry photo I had to use my left hand to take the shot.
In the end the risotto was overcooked and bland. I also didn't have enough parmesan so it had even less flavour. Worst risotto ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment